Building Science is the study of a building’s systems to understand the phenomena that a building structure undergoes. Building science draws on principles and knowledge from various branches of science, including life sciences, Architectural Engineering, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Mechanics, and others.
Ensign is a Building Science Company. We apply Building Science Principles in everything we do, whether performing mold, water, and fire restoration, providing solutions to improve Indoor Air Quality, or working on a custom home project. No other company in the building science industry has greater expertise or breadth of service offerings than Ensign Building Solutions.
Yes. Partnering with Goulding Custom Homes, Ensign builds Custom Luxury Homes, Vacation Homes, and Custom Luxury Log Homes. For more information on building a Custom Home, visit the Goulding Custom Homes Website.
Mold is a microscopic fungus that is part of the natural environment. Mold is all around us, indoors and outdoors. It is a necessary part of our ecosystem. While mold is necessary in the outdoor world, too much mold inside a structure can be dangerous and unsanitary. Mold reproduces through spores that float freely in the air. Once these spores land on a moist surface in the right conditions, mold will begin to grow.
Once floating spores land on a damp surface, mold begins to grow in as little as 24-48 hours. Mold will continue to grow for as long as it has a moisture source. Eliminating the source of moisture will stop the mold from continuing to grow.
Mold poses significant health risks. If you suffer from allergies, exposure to molds can trigger symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, skin irritation and even other more severe reactions. In addition to health risks, many people aren’t aware that mold can cause serious structural damage to a home or business. As mold grows on surfaces, it metabolizes organic materials, such as wood.
Yes, We do mold remediation! Ensign Building Solutions is certified for mold inspections and remediation. Are technicians are specifically trained and equipped with the right tools to handle your mold situation.
Finding mold in your home or business is unfortunate, but it should be handled by a professional. Mold grows very fast and it is highly recommended to call in professionals, like Ensign Building Solutions, to come perform a thorough inspection, identify the source of mold growth, and perform remediation.
For people who suffer with allergies, mold can trigger allergic reactions and other symptoms such as watery nose, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, itching, difficulty with breathing, fatigue, and even inflammatory response. The more exposure you have to mold over time, the more severe reactions and symptoms can become. It's important to have mold removed immediately and properly to avoid further issues by eliminating mold growth in your home.
Mold reproduces via tiny spores. When disturbed, these spores can become airborne and can travel throughout your home or business. Once these spores land on a wet surface, mold will begin to reproduce and spread.
Radon is a radioactive gas that naturally occurs from the decay of uranium in the Earth's soils. Radon is colorless, odorless, and tasteless, making it undetectable to the human senses. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States every year after smoking.
There are no immediate symptoms related to Radon exposure. The only known health issue linked to Radon is lung cancer. Each year in the United States, it is estimated that more than 21,000 people die from lung cancer caused by exposure to Radon. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States behind smoking. There is no evidence suggesting that asthma, or any other respiratory disease, is linked to or caused by Radon.
The one and only way to know if your home has high levels of radon is to test. Radon is known as the silent killer because it is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It can go undetected by the human senses. It is recommended that your home be tested every other year for Radon.
A Radon Resistant New Construction (RRNC) is a home in which a builder has planned for and installed a Radon Mitigation System during the process of the home's construction. By doing this, the builder is able to conceal the piping through a wall or chase and out of the home through the roof. The Radon Mitigation System will enhance the Indoor Air Quality of the home by reducing the homebuyer's exposure to radon, therefore lowering the risk of contracting lung cancer.
The United States Environment Protection Agency (EPA) recommends that each home be tested for Radon every 2 years.
Yes! The recommendation is to test each home every 2 years for radon, even if you have had a radon mitigation system installed. This is the best way to test the effectiveness of the mitigation system and to keep exposure to radon levels as low as possible.
Every person's response to radon is different. For one person, developing lung cancer may take being exposed to higher levels of radon over a short period of time. For another, it could take lower levels of exposure over a much longer period of time. Each and every person's response to radon is different, making it difficult to determine how much exposure it takes to develop lung cancer.
Yes, rainfall will cause a temporary increase in radon concentration levels within the home. Rainfall creates a capping effect that displaces radon gases from the soil to the past of leas resistance, which can be from the soil underneath the home.
Asbestos is a group of 6 different minerals that are naturally occurring in the environment from certain types of rocks. Asbestos is made up of very small fibers that are invisible to the human eye. Because of its fire & heat resistant properties, asbestos was used as an insulator in homes for heat and sound in the 1940s to 1970s.
No. As long as proper ventilation is accounted for in the building process, there is no such thing as building a home that is too tight.
With every home that we build at Ensign Building Solutions, our motto is to "Build it tight, and Ventilate it right."
Exposure to asbestos happens by breathing in asbestos fibers. When Asbestos fibers in building materials are disturbed and become airborne, they can be inhaled and remain in the lungs for a lifetime. Exposure to asbestos and breathing these fibers into the lungs puts someone at risk for developing lung disease, or better known as mesothelioma.
Unless materials in your home are labeled as having asbestos, the only way to be certain is to have your home tested. If you are unsure if materials in your home have asbestos, you should treat them as if they do. Until these materials can be tested, do not disturb them to keep potential asbestos fibers from becoming airborne. If you are planning a renovation in your home and you are unsure if the building materials have asbestos, you should have your home tested before performing the renovation. If you would like to have your home tested, visit our Indoor Air Quality Page.
Many factors determine if inhaling asbestos will have harmful effects. Some of these factors include:
After inhaling asbestos fibers, there can be "latency period" between 10 and 40 years before feeling sick. There are no immediate symptoms, such as coughs, sneezing, itchy throat, watering eyes, etc.