Will my water damage or mold contamination be covered by insurance?
The process of working with insurance companies can be tricky and cumbersome. As homeowners, we all would like to think that our homeowners insurance covers any type of water damage or mold contamination that may occur. Unfortunately, it doesn’t always work out that way. So, how do I know if my water damage or mold contamination will be covered by insurance? That determination is usually made by an insurance adjuster.
How do Insurance Adjusters determine if water damage is covered by insurance?
When processing claims for property damage, Insurance adjusters typically use key terms such as “sudden” and “accidental.” Claims that fall under these two characteristics are generally more than likely to be covered. Regardless, every situation is treated uniquely, so it still requires going through the process with your insurance company to be completely certain.
Damage to the home which has taken place quickly and unexpectedly
Damage to the home which is unintentional and as a result of a mistake
Does Insurance Cover Mold Remediation?
When encountering water damage involving mold, many insurers have a limitation for the amount of coverage allowed for Mold Remediation. This is something you should specifically ask your insurance company about.
Tips for working with Insurance
- If you are not confident in speaking directly to your insurance company, call in a professional who has experience working with insurance claims. An experienced contractor will have the time and resources to make sure that you get every bit of coverage you deserve to return your home back to pre-loss conditions.
- Be careful what you say as it only takes one wrong statement and the insurance company can deny your entire claim.
- Report property damage promptly. Do not wait as this may have an impact on the outcome of your claim.
- Understand your policy. Educate yourself thoroughly on the coverage you have as well as don’t have.
- Make sure your policy is up to date and reflects coverage for any renovations, additions, or other home upgrades you have made along the way.
Can Ensign help with my water damage?
Ensign Building Solutions can help homeowners in the Greater Atlanta area with water damage insurance claims. We work directly with your insurance company on your behalf to get you the maximum possible for complete restoration of your home to pre-loss conditions.